Skip to main content

Finding the right subjects

They say, when you start drawing you start to see the world differently. And you feel the urge to draw everything. The first part of this claim is true for me to a certain degree. I do sometimes look at things with the eyes of an artist, wondering how I would draw this. The second part not so much. I am still quite selective when it comes to choosing subjects to draw.

They also say that everything is interesting when you draw it. And when I see other people's drawings of supposedly banal stuff, I like them. But I can't get myself to drawing just anything. It has to be something special or something that spontaneously attracts me or has some other motivation behind it, except that it's in front of me and I want to draw.

So one could think that the moment I do find something visually interesting somehow, I would want to draw it. And there is sometimes the thought in my mind that I would have to want to draw at least everything I do find interesting. As if I was not allowed anymore to find something interesting without wanting to draw it. But there is a difference between me finding something visually interesting and me wanting to draw it.

Why is that? Am I just not daring to draw something interesting, because I believe it's too difficult? Or do I think it's not interesting enough to draw it? Or is it that my brain - the part that is in charge of drawing - says: I can't do anything with this right now? I often find myself browsing a photo site and getting attracted to a photo, but then I imagine drawing it and finally decide against it, because I don't see how I could approach a drawing of it.

You somehow have to broaden your artistic 'vocabulary' in a useful way. On the one hand, you have to challenge yourself in order to make progress. On the other hand, if the challenge is too big you get frustrated. And you certainly don't want drawing to frustrate you. Probably, all you can do is trust your intuition. If a subject totally scares you, allow yourself to reject it. If you think, it won't be easy to draw, but you have an idea, how to approach it, give it a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sketch & Note

It's always great when you have finished a sketchbook and a new sketchbook is in front of you waiting to be started. It's especially exciting when the new one is a type you haven't used before. I've just started one of my new Sketch & Note sketchbooks - or rather sketch booklets - by Hahnemühle. They come in bundles of two with colourful covers and 40 pages each. The paper is rather smooth with a fine texture and weighs 125 gsm. The tools I prefer to work with are pencils, coloured pencils and ink. I do a preliminary drawing with pencil, then go over it with ink, adding also a bit of hatching where necessary, and then colour with coloured pencils. This paper seems to suit all these tools very well. It's smooth enough for good ink lines, but also has enough texture for the coloured pencils. I like to colour rather lightly, not minding some paper white showing through. Though, I'm sure if you want to get rid of it, that won't be a problem with this

Photorealism

Many people feel honoured when their drawing or painting is mistaken for a photo. Well, sometimes it happens unintentionally. But there are artists who strive for photorealism. They think it's the greatest achievement to be able to make a drawing or painting look like it is a photo, even to be able to literally copy a photo by drawing or painting it. I don't think so. Nowadays,  if your goal is to depict something as true to reality as possible, you can take a photo and that's it. Easy. So why would you learn to draw or paint, just to make your drawing (or painting) look like a photo? That doesn't make sense to me. I want my drawings to be something different, something more than photos are. The most important thing about drawing is the fun you have while doing it. But as far as the result is concerned, I want my drawings to have a character of their own, a different character than a photo has. At least, I want them to look like drawings. With this in mind, drawin

Lack of inspiration

I haven't written here for a while. Nothing exciting has happened since the Craftsy course. Nothing to write about. I have done one or the other drawing since then, but nothing for the last two weeks, except some hatching exercises. It's the same old story. I want to draw, but don't know what. I still don't subscribe to the idea that everything is interesting when you draw it, so draw anything. I need a concept, a theme,  a subject with a meaning to me. I don't visit exciting places often or buy interesting new stuff. So what to draw when there is nothing like this to be inspired by? It's so frustrating to always have to search for a subject. I'm preparing next month's subject for the Virtual Sketchwalk group, a topic I am really interested in right now, so hopefully I will be occupied with it next month. But what until then and what after that? I need to solve this riddle, because I love to draw and I love to see another drawing emerge in my sketc